Religious Education in Catholic Schools
Religious Education in Catholic SchoolsDownload iCal Event
Location: Heythrop College
Religious Education plays a pivotal role in Catholic schools. In contrast to many other types of schooling Religious Education in Catholic schools enjoys a privileged place in the curriculum. For many the success of a Catholic education comes down to the quality of the RE. However, these are testing times for Religious Education in all schools. This conference will provide a unique opportunity to devote fresh thinking to the place of Religious Education in Catholic schools.
Keynote Speakers include: Professor James Conroy
Conference organisers: Dr Sean Whittle (Heythrop College) and Dr Anthony Towey (St Mary’s University, Twickenham). Presented by the Heythrop Institute for Religion and Society and the Aquinas Centre for Religious Literacy (St Mary’s University, Twickenham)
This conference will give attention to many of the questions and issues currently facing RE in Catholic schools, including:
- What is or ought to be the relationship between RE, catechesis and faith formation in Catholic schools and colleges?
- What ought to be the aims and goals of RE in Catholic schools? Who should decide what they are?
- How central is RE to the success of ‘Catholic education’?
- What ought to be the place of RE within a Catholic curriculum?
- How much curriculum time ought to be dedicated to RE in Catholic schools?
- What are the distinctive characteristics of RE in Catholic schools?
- What can RE teachers in Catholic schools and colleges learn from RE in other school and educational settings?
- Public examinations and RE in Catholic schools – can they really be a force for good?
- How are we to ensure the future supply of RE teachers for Catholic schools?
- How ought RE be taught in Catholic schools?
- Should compulsory philosophy lessons be introduced alongside RE in Catholic schools?
- What ought to be the place of scripture in RE in Catholic schools?
- What are the best ways to educate and form RE teachers for Catholic schools?
Download a copy of the full programme below:
Please use the Book Now link above to reserve your place. Full conference fee £120 / Single Day £65
Contact: Dr Sean Whittle email@example.com